Saturday, January 23, 2010

'I'm back in the USofA'

Gosh it's strange to be home. Following the sad news of my beloved and only Pop-pop's passing, I boarded a car to begin my 2 day trip home. After a brief breakdown at Kotoka airport in Accra(note: it is VERY unacceptable to cry in public in Ghana, and me having a meltdown at the British Airways counter got me a lot of stares, and a lot of sympathy), I somehow was able to get on a flight that day and ended up in London 8 hours later at Heathrow Int'l Airport. I got off the plane and saw my breath for the first time in 6 months, and realized that in my leggings, flip-flops, and cotton shirt, I was wayy underdressed. I also realized I wasn't in Africa anymore, there were white people EVERYWHERE! They weren't surprised to see me, but I was surprised to see them. I was once again a majority, however, I didn't quite fit in- with my African print shirt... Heathrow was fun, I stayed there for 4 hours, bought a Starbucks with the seven US dollars I had saved from Philly, and chatted with a nice girl who was on my plane from Ghana. My next flight was due to leave from Heathrow and land in Philadelphia 8 hours later. I didn't check any bags, so I had everything in my carry-ons. Thanks to the incident with the Detroit terrorist attempt, the security to enter the US right now is intense! Before they let us through the gate to get on the plane, they did a full search of our carry-ons, and I am now in need of tweezers. They confiscated the three I had in my make-up bag. And questioned me for having three pairs of tweezers. Brits are silly.
I arrived in Philly in the afternoon, and smiled as I handed my passport to the customs officer. Nothin like Philly hospitality,
Officer: "What was yous doin in Ghana fur 6 months?"
Me: "I'm in the Peace Corps."
Officer: "Yea, doin what?"
Me: "I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer, doing Business Development."
Officer: "Yea, 6 months thats a long time"
Me: "Yep..."

Oh, philly. :)

So, I got to eat mac n' cheese, take a hot shower, drink Dr. Pepper, drive, go to Wawa, drink coffee and not sweat, wear a jacket, drink milk, eat a cookie, watch a Christmas movie, have internet that's fast, see my family, say goodbye to my pop-pop, and soon I get to see my friends and eat a cheesesteak. But, the reason for this post, I was FINALLY able to post ALL my pictures online. Check them out: http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=1179332012/a=83695609_83695609/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

I'm home for another week and then it's back to Ghana. Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Chrissy, I am glad that you are home and able to be with your family. I can't wait for you to get back. IST was not the same without you.

    ReplyDelete