Monday, July 27, 2009

Site Visit

Soo, I am in Takoradi right now in the Western Region of Ghana. I am staying here for one week on what PC calls Site Visit. I am living in what will be my house for the next 2 years, and may i say, i have got the HOOK UP! I traveled from Kukurantumi Saturday with my Supervisor and Counterpart to Kwesimintim (the suburb of Takoradi where my house is specifically). Of course, as is the way in Ghana, we made a stop at a wedding in Accra, and didn't get to my house until 9pm. (we should've arrived at 2 or 3 at the latest.) There was no power, so I was a little weirded out that first night, but the next morning it was worth it. I have a 2 bedroom house on the 2nd story in a compound house. I have a flush toilet, a shower (!), a kitchen with a sink and a propane stove and a fridge ( tho i havent gotten the fridge to work yet and i don't have gas for the stove). I have my own bedroom with a queen size bed, and a living room with a couch, 4 chairs, a desk, a tv and a dvd player... Unbelievable. But my fave part of the house is the balcony! It opens from my bedroom and the living room and its got a great view. It's wayy more than i ever expected, and i won't mind living here for two years. The office is a 30 min cab ride but thats not too bad. I was at the office this morning and met everyone, just still trying to decide where I can be used and how i will be of the most help. Also working on figuring out some of my own projects. And I have FULL phone service here so that is soo nice. I am only here until friday, then i travel back to Maase and stay 2 more weeks with my host family. I swear-in as an official PCV on August 13th. Then i move back here and stay for 2 years. Crazy! Anyway, I've only been here one day so I still have a lot to see and i"m just trying to find my way around and get comfortable. But i made friends with a neighbor so she's been fun and great in helping me out.
I miss you and it was great to be able to talk to you last night. Hope you can set up that skype thing. I'll let you know if i find out more.

3 comments:

  1. Chris, your accomodations and your project sound so exciting. God is pouring out His favor on you. "I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams, and that faith gives you the courage to dare to do great things. I'm here for you whatever this life brings. So let my love give you roots to help you find your wings...I'll have tears when you take off-but I'll cheer when you FLY!!!" Enjoy your flight. I love . Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright Chris, so give us the low-down on what you actually need. I want my solar shower back!! :)
    Miss you lots,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. whats the new address?

    ReplyDelete