Monday, July 13, 2009

Obama!!!

i'm currently trying to watch the youtube videos and i can only see the first 4 seconds but it's so cute! they are getting soo big!

so not too much news, except that....
I GOT TO STAND 2 FEET FROM OBAMA AND I SHOOK MICHELLE's HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!
yup. it was unreal. all of us trainees and some of the current pcvs went to the embassy in ghana and took busses over to kotoka international airport where airforce one was waiting on the runway. Obama and the fam came to ghana on friday night and spent saturday touring elmina castle in cape coast where the slaves were shipped from. then he spoke at parliament and then before he left ghana he gave a small speech at the airport. since we are in peace corps we were allowed to stand in the VIP area on the tarmac. we were set up about 6 feet from the podium. around 6pm he arrived in a helicopter and got into a car and was driven up to the podium. the president of ghana was there to introduce him, John Atta Mills. Then Obama gave a 30 minute speech in which he mentioned Peace Corps 3 times!!! We all cheered when he said it. I have some amazing pics! After the speech he went and shook hands with us in the VIP section. I couldn't get to him, but I saw him 1 foot from where i was standing. Then Michele went around and in the midst of chaos she shook my hand!!!!!! she had a light grip, and her hand was cold and skinny! I LOVE michele, wayy more than i like obama, so it was perfect! Several of my other trainees actually got to shake his hand and say something to him. SO then they boarded Air Force One and waved goodbye and we watched the plane fly away. It was epic!

i'll try to get my pics up, but its like trying to break into fort knox. im working on it tho.
and i still havent been able to see my new nephew! facebook is a hassle. could you possibly email them to me at my gmail account? maybe that would be better.

in other news, all is well in ghana. im thinking i could get a new cell provider and maybe then verizon would be able to contact me. or you could just try calling cards. or skype.

one of the families in maase has puppies and i went to go play with them today. they're only 2 weeks old and theyre soooo adorable. when i go to site visit im going to scope it out and see if it would be possible for me to have a pet. if so, then im gonna take this one thats a girl, shes white, brown and white and shes my favorite of the litter. im so excited! ive never had a dog!!!

ok, my hour is up. much love.

8 comments:

  1. You are so funny in your description of Michele's hand. But I agree w you that I would have rather shaken her hand than his!
    I will email you some baby dom pix, but i made those videos just for you! Laura says he's doing fine, and Tim is watching Ant so they have 2 sets of hands.
    nathan and I went to Atsion lake yesterday, he loved it!
    can't wait to see your pix.
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have your gmail account- post it next time and I will most def. send some pics of Dominic the Donkey ;) He looks ALOT like Tim as a baby- dark complexion and dark hair. We are doing well... he wakes every 3 hrs or so to eat, but typically goes right back to bed (during the night) so though choppy, I do get sleep in the night. Your adventures sound awesome- I am thankful you are enjoying yourself. I won't mention the whole shaking of hands with Obama to Tim (Jk, kinda ;) But I do agree much better her hand than his. Well, I hear the gremlin.... gotta run, stay safe! Get those pics up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Chris. The president! (even though he was not my choice). You are having an amazing adventure. We have Skype but I don't think we have a mic. Calling cards won't work if Ghana won't accept my phone signal. International phones are too expensive. We will put some $ in your account. Just keep calling us for now. Lve you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, it is extremely hard these days to get through. ive tried several times just so you know...haha. i even tried skype one day but i dont think it even rang. do they have another provider out there?? i was in the Gallerie mall (BLUGH!) and saw some calling cards specifically for West Africa, but the draw back is that you have to either use it in Pennsylvania or Delaware...figure that one out because I havent and it says so right on the card. Probably a scam anyhow. It's so nice to know that you are having a great time and are all excited (i would just be like 'its any other day' but you know thats me!)---did you move to the city yet? Philly is beautiful, and everytime im there i get lost, but in the much better parts! Of course there are always the annoying Phillies fans, but yesterday I saw someone with a Boston hat on and got all excited! Did I tell you that I am utterly disappointed in Starbucks on 10th and Chestnut?? They only had pork in all of their food, and I was trying really hard to be Orthadox today! Anyway, not the point....I hope you got all my texts...I FINALLY sent you that package today! And oh my g-d, did you know that gold and silver is not allowed to be mailed to Ghana?? Well, its not---so its a good thing you are getting Julian O'con Jewelry and not Tiffany's. Well, I guess that's all for now. I'm just getting annoyed because you are like sooo unreachable at the present moment (I'm changing your name to Alicia Keys, or Lady Gaga---who I havent tried to contact but I'm sure if I did it would not go through either). Oh, I posted something on Corey's wall to stop by your fb page and leave a message, because, well, damn it more people should! I told him you probably needed more americans to talk to. (Needess to say...he has not responded yet...ha ha) Oh my g-d let me know when you get the package; you do not have to actually wear the jewelry, its not my best work, and you'll be confused about the necklaces but honestly i think they can be worn in more than one way....but i would have to explain it or take a few pictures of that to show it to you...ok...have fun...sorry for running my mouth sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wait; one more thing...miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay; so here is the latest on calling Ghana. For all those interested.
    A. Skype is the cheapest. 15 cents a minute.
    B. At&t charges 2 dollars and something a minute
    C. At&c charges 88 cents a minute w/ a plan
    D. Skype lately has been the easiest way to get thru, but unless you have great quality speakers expect to be saying 'huh' and 'what?' an awful lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh now i feel like a schmuck; i really need to learn to edit before i send...oh well...hope you are having a blast! i want an african puppy too! pictures-pictures-pictures christine!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's is so exciting!!! :) i'm glad your house is really nice, i'm still working on getting mine together. so by the way i miss you like crazy!!! but i am so excitied that you are having so many amazing experiences!!! love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete