Thursday, March 25, 2010

Worms, Maggots, Cockroaches, and Mosquitoes

I've been having some exciting encounters with bugs lately. Lets start with the first one.

Worms: Nala perpetually has worms, no matter how many times I have her de-wormed. They are not fun.
Maggots: Nala had a maggot crawl out of her leg. Before you go and vomit, I'd like to assure you that she is a very healthy, beautiful, and clean dog. It looked like a bump on her leg and one day I looked at it and something was moving inside. It was a maggot. I called the vet to have him come take a look at it, and by the time he got over to my house, it had already crawled itself out, and Nala was left with a hole in her leg. None of this was painful to her though. The vet gave her some sort of shot and of course, de-wormed her.
Cockroaches: The cockroaches here are just too big. Every night I have at least 3 scurry across my floor, and I go through about a half a can of raid just to STUN the little suckers. I went to the bathroom one night and discovered their favorite place- the trash in my bathroom with used T-roll. I was doin my business when I looked down and saw two little antennae peeking out over the top. Nothing like that to calm you down before bed.
Mosquitoes: Because of the hot weather in Ghana here, you often feel things on your skin. But it's a 50/50 chance that it's either sweat or a mosquitoe. So after slapping myself silly when I thought it was a bug but turned out to be sweat, I've come up with a new detection system: sweat usually drips very slowly, and if you wait long enough, you'll feel it moving. But a mosquitoe, if you're sensitive enough to feel them, lands, pricks, and leaves. So, unless I feel the prick, I don't slap. It's proving to be very effective. I'm no longer slapping myself all night.

That's the latest in news, I'm staying very busy with my new job, I'll have updates from that soon. Otherwise, I'm happy, healthy, and lovin' life!

3 comments:

  1. I hope Nala doesn't sleep with you. Do you scream and wake up the whole house when you see the bugs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I admire you. I couldn't do it. Ollie has had to get deworming pills a few times too. Grandma and PopPop would be so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is cold and rainy here. I have my sweats on sitting next to the heater drinking hot chocolate. It is almost May. Is that crazy or what?

    ReplyDelete