Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Disclaimer: The thoughts and opinions expressed in this blog are mine entirely and do not reflect those of the United States Peace Corps.

I realize I have a romantic view of the world, it is the consequence of being an idealist. Nevertheless, I decided to share this essay after it sparked several interesting conversations between friends. I wrote it a couple weeks ago, and hope none take offense. No, I'm not becoming a liberal ;) I claim neither side. I just try to think my own thoughts.


Abstract
Imagine if the world were white and black.
The same, but the opposite.
Ruled by a strong, united Africa,
Central in the world, extending their reach to all other nations.
A land rich in natural resources and beauty,
With a people just as rich in diversity and culture.
What if the black African had colonized white Europe, instead of the other way around?
Would they have laid claims on the land as their own,
Dividing it among themselves, disregarding the borders of the people?
Would they have come in the name of their god to spread civilization and convert the lost?
Would the 'dark', have been the 'light?'
Could it have been so
That they would have taken the white man from his home
To build their nations on his back?
Would Europe be plagued with disease, poverty, war, and corrupt leaders
Puppets used by others to play in a bigger world game?
Imagine a people so reliant on aid that
That they've lost the will to help themselves.
I cannot understand, you see, why it was one way and not the other.
For I could have been living in a nation indebted for eternity,
Or celebrating the triumph of the first White President!
Why is one continent, rich in all ways except money,
So far behind the rest?

I believe the only solution that will heal Africa, is one yet to be determined
By Africans.

2 comments:

  1. that's really powerful chrissy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was amazing! I find myself asking those same questions time and again, after each visit to my family in Zambia.

    ReplyDelete